The original members were all friends and acquantances and lived in Point Place.  They were all interested in outdoor sports - hunting, fishing, trapping, and boating.  Along about 1951, the interest in archery was renewed by Fred Bear and spread through this area.  This group of friends talked about formaing a club for the purpose of building an archery range for practice.  A study was made - and determinded that a field archery range should be set up to N.F.A.A. standards.  We all agreed that this club should be for recreation and enjoyment.  It would be kept small and not become a chore and a problem group.  It should be ALL FUN!

The first range was located on a small park located by the U.S. Coast Guard base.  The next location was on 290th St. (near where Detwiler Golf Course is now located).  The 3rd location was on Benore road (east of the present site) - then on to our present site.


A contest was held to design a patch and was won by Howie Lang.  Keeping in mind the conccept of a casual, fun social group - the design was nothing more than a picture with no connection to the club name, location, goals, hunting or sportmanship.


When the club first located on Benore Rd.- and abandoned gambling casino was located on the south side of the road.  We envisioned an indoor clubhouse.  One member, Bud Wilson, knew who to ask for permission to rent, lease, or u se the building.

Enter "Chalky Red" Yaronowsky.  He was part of the Detroit group.  He allowed Mudjaw Bowmen to use this building, rent free - as long as we maintained the facility.  This was the indoor range for many years until the present building was built.

Along about 19__ the present property was put up for sale.  When we contacted the sellers, we discovered that a group from Detroit was the owner and "Chalky Red" was again contacted and the purchase negotiations were begun.  Mudjaw, not having much, if any money, was the recipient of financial assistance - a good loan from the Detroit Group.

After the purchase, the range construction began.  We were now in need of construction equipment (earth movers, bulldozers. etc.)  Working with "Chalky Red" we were allowed to use this equipment from Jecura Bros. (owners of the Raceway Park horse track) who were in the earth moving business, and connected with the Detriot Group.

Later, another contractor moved two small houses onto the property for our use.  Some years later, another contractor donated building materials remaining from the construciton of the present Chrysler Machining Plant.

Last of all, lets not forget all the members who have used their own trucks, autos, tools, lawnmowers, adn time who have helped make this club a success.

Help comes in strange ways.  You guys are doing a great job. - Howie Lang "2011"



The club was named after MUDJAW CREEK located in Point Place.  It begins as a point on 131st St. and empties into the Ottawa River near Edgewater School on Edgewater Dr.  Presently it is about 1/2 mile long.

Historically, the creek began at a point on Summit St. across from St. John's Catholic Church and ran Northeast into the Ottawa River.  Time and development of streets and homes being built caused the creek to be filled in.

The name "MUDJAW" is pronounced phonetically "MOO SHAW".  It is a French Indian word meaning: leaving, going away.  Opinion has it that the creek would dry up every summer leaving a dry culvert.  History has it that there was and Indian village located in this area.

-Howie Lang "2011"


Additional Information about the History of Mudjaw Bowmen is coming forward.

January 8, 1953 was the first meeting of Mudjaw Bowmen. Elections for officers were held.

President was Edward Vanderhorst

Vice President was Harold Vanderhorst

Tresurer was Bob Sass

Secretary was Joe Mlotzek

Field Manager was Bill Komomy

Dues and initiation fees were $3.00

Meetings were held the first and third Thursday each month at the Town Tavern on Summit Street in Point Place.

February 19, 1953 the Club enblem was designed by Howie Lang

First Club shoot was July 19, 1953

The First Archery Course in 1953 was on the Coast Guard property in Point Place. 

In 1953 the first annual meeting was held at Angelo's Speghetti House on Stickney Ave.

January 1954 the second range opened at 290th and Lehman Ave.

in 1954 a rabbit hunt was held at the Clubs new range on Benore Street.

During the Winters of 1954 and 1955 indoor archery was held upstairs at Sanford's Pet Shop.

During the winters of 1956 and 1957 indoor shooting was held in the old Robinhood Theater on Front Street in East Toledo.

February of 1957 the Womens Auxilary was formed

Mudjaw Bowmen began showing movies at meetings, first movie "Atomic Bomb" 

In 1957 there were two Honorary members inducted:  Lou Klewer and Frank Venner

March 6, 1957 Mudjaw Bowmen incorporation papers were signed and recorded with the State of Ohio

June 28, 1965 was the date of the closing on the property the Club now sits on.




Upcoming Events

26 Feb 2018;
06:00PM - 09:00PM
Family Night Open Shoot
27 Feb 2018;
07:00PM -
Indoor Spot League
28 Feb 2018;
06:15PM -
Club Board Meeting
28 Feb 2018;
07:00PM -
Wednesday Indoor Hunter League
01 Mar 2018;
07:00PM -
2018 Indoor Traditional League